3 qt bowl
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 75 minutes
Yield: 10 servings
12 ounces chicken breasts
1 packet Wild Wild West Smokin’ BBQ Dip
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup diced onion
½ cup diced green peppers
½ cup diced red peppers
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 quart low sodium chicken broth
4 Tablespoons tomato paste
4 cups hot water
2 cans (15 ounces) black beans, drained
4 tablespoon corn meal
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ cup cold water
5 corn tortillas, cut in half and then cut into ½” wide strips
Diced red onion
Grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chicken breast on a 13×9 Unlimit-lid™. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon BBQ dip. Reserve rest of dip for later. Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until thoroughly cooked. Remove from oven. Cool to room temperature and cut into ½ inch cubes. Set aside.
- Place a large sauté pan over a medium heat. Add the oil, onions, peppers and garlic, and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining BBQ dip, blending well. Stir in the diced chicken.
- Add the tomatoes and chilies, chicken broth, tomato paste, hot water and black beans. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 35 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Combine the corn meal and cumin with the second water and mix well. Stir mixture into the soup and allow to simmer for another 20 minutes. Remove from heat, cover pot, and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- To serve, place some of the tortilla strips on the bottom of your bowl or Tara at Home mug. Ladle soup over the tortillas and garnish with additional tortillas, sour cream, cheese and cilantro if you wish!